The 21 Suggestions for Success by H. Jackson Brown, an American author, is an inspirational list of how to live a successful life. Jackson has written over 30 books including Life’s little instruction book which is one of his most famous book. However ‘ The 21 suggestions for success’, which focuses not on monetary goals but true happiness and contentment, is perhaps his best known work available out there.
The 21 Suggestions for Success
- Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
- Work at something you enjoy and that’s worthy of your time and talent.
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be generous.
- Have a grateful heart.
- Persistence, persistence, persistence.
- Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Commit yourself to quality.
- Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
- Be loyal.
- Be honest.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be decisive even if it means you’ll sometimes be wrong.
- Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.
- Take good care of those you love.
- Don’t do anything that wouldn’t make your Mom proud.
I believe these rules have stood the test of time and are still relevant today. It is a true aspiration of mine to pursue such success.